Objectives and Overview
Read The Whole Thing
The Objectives for this online learning resource are:
- Participants will understand how the activity “Every Pebble Tells a Story” fits into the Oakland Schools Scope curriculum and the role it can play in a unit learning cycle that addresses the topic of Earth history.
- Participants will understand how to resource and implement the activity “Every Pebble Tells a Story” in the class.
- Participants will understand how to help students structure writing into a claims-evidence-reasoning format in support of Common Core English Language Arts (ELA) Standards for science.
- Participants will have a better understanding of the geologic history of common Michigan Cobbles.
You will need:
- Moodle works best with Firefox. Firefox is a free download and can be acquired from https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/.
- QuickTime, needed for the PC, which is a free download and can be acquired from http://www.apple.com/quicktime/.
In this workshop, participants will follow instructions through three parts and produce a Learning Log with reflections on topics and questions. At the end of the workshop, participants are required to submit their Learning Log for approval, upon which they will receive credit for the workshop. There is an Every Pebble Tells a Story Forum dedicated to this workshop where participants can post ideas, questions and challenges. While there is not an official moderator committed to interact with participants, other participants may provide responses.
1.2 Understanding the Scope/Unit - the 5-E Learning Activity
2.2 How to Discuss Rock Samples
Blue text is a link to something and should be clicked on. For example, you will often be asked to note something in your Learning Log and Learning Log will be blue meaning that you should click on it to go to the Learning Log.
You will move from one page to another by either clicking on the menu item on the left side of the screen or the arrows on the bottom.
Initiate your Learning Log by doing the following.
- Highlight and copy(Control C in a Windows Computer or Apple/Command C in a Macintosh) the Objectives (stated above),
- Open the Learning Log by clicking on the phrase "Learning Log".
- Paste (Control V in a Windows Computer or Apple/Command V in a Macintosh) the Objectives into your Learning Log.
When you have finished Teaching Every Pebble Tells a Story click on Click here when you have finished everything.
If you have technical difficulties contact the REMC/District Help Desk at xxx-xxx-xxxx.